Friday, April 18, 2008

Lots To Catch Up On!

Here is the up side of spring: North Carolina's state tree is the dogwood and they are absolutely gorgeous right now.



This one is in my back yard and I just love the lacy look of it.



Azaleas are in full bloom too. Isn't this one pretty?



There is a down side to spring, though. The POLLEN!!! When I got home yesterday, it was such a beautiful day, I decided to get a book and go sit on my back porch and enjoy the afternoon for a little while. However, when I stepped outside, I was literally making footprints as I walked across the back porch because the pollen was so thick! It took me almost two hours to sweep (I think I swept up about 10 yellow piles!), mop (I changed the water three times!), wipe down my furniture, and vaccuum my cushions. We did get to eat outside last night, though, and everything was nice and clean. I bet if I checked it today, there would already be a yellow film again!!

Today was our field trip to the Columbia zoo. The kids were so excited and it turned out to be an absolutely beautiful day...about 84 degrees & no humidity!! Loved it! We took charter buses down there (it's about an hour and a half from Charlotte) and the kids watched movies on the way. We saw so many fun animals and had a picnic. Here are some pictures of the day.

This one reminds me of Nala and Mufasa!!



The gorillas were so cute and so human! This one is on his back just chillin' out.



Me and some of my sweeties.



We didn't get back until about 4:00. Then I came home and changed to go to JOY PROM!!

Here we are dressed and ready to go.



I can't even tell you what an extraordinary event this was! There were about 1200 people there. I was just so proud of my church and my kids and their friends. Hopefully these wonderful people felt the love of Christ through the love that was expressed to them tonight and the special way they were treated. I know many of their caregivers and parents were so touched that someone they loved had such a magical night.



Here are some pictures from tonight.

Mark's date was severely disabled, but he had a great night with her and I think she really enjoyed it!





Laura's date for the night loved chocolate cake!! He ate about 3 HUGE pieces!!



Lindy's date was hearing impaired, but he still loved to dance!



Laura and Lindy and their dates.



Even Steve had a date! (I didn't have one because I was working in the Hospitality Suite serving food to the care givers.)





Here is my sweet friend, Katie, and her date.





It was a very special night and I am so thankful that we were all able to be a part of it!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Betsy - I have always thought your kids were so cute but I have to say that you have obviously raised them right to be caring, sweet human beings. You must be so proud of your family. That prom is just wonderful!
P.S. your backyard is so beautiful!

Megan L Hutchings said...

Betsy ~ I just finished reading all of your posts and I just adore you. Your children are absolutely fabulous, your yard is beautiful, and your heart just radiates love!

Caroline said...

Betsy----if i lived by you i would have been at that joy prom!!!!! what a WONDERFUL THING!!!!!!

your students are precious!!!!!

Christal said...

What an awesome family thing to do and community thing to do you have a great family !!I bet everybody learned alot and had alot of fun!! That is so awesome!
Your yard is to die for too!! Its beautiful love it!
Your students are so cute too!! You truely have a pure heart and care so much about others you are an inspiration!! thanks.