Sunday, April 20, 2008

Conviction

I have been thinking alot this weekend about how much we have and what kind of job we are doing as stewards of all that God has given us! Last Thursday when I was cleaning my porch from all that pollen, I was watching Oprah out of the corner of my eye.



Her show that day was about living with less. It grabbed my attention and made me stop and think.

Did you know that Americans make up just 5 percent of the world's population but use up 25 percent of the world's resources? I started thinking about my family and how much we throw away. Our trash can is always more full than anyone else's on the street! We do recycle, but I have become even more aware of anything I could put in recycling.

How about all the water bottles we use???



Laura and Lindy take one every single day in their lunch. Steve went out today and got two reusable bottles for them to take. There is no reason to use a different bottle every day....where do all those bottles go when you're done??

I am usually so pressed for time that when I go to the grocery store, I often end up buying things that I actually already had in my fridge or pantry. Not this weekend! I double checked my grocery list and made sure I only got what I needed! I'm thinking about stopping our paper towels--we can use dish towels!! And I totally need to make smaller portions for our family. There are many times when we throw food away. That is just such an ungrateful and wasteful thing to do.

This weekend, I was reading one of my favorite blogs, Rocks In My Dryer, and saw this news story. Did you know that in Haiti right now, they are so desparate for food that they are eating DIRT???? What on earth????



You really need to take a minute to watch this video. It is just so sad. That is a level of poverty that we will never know.

We are all so very blessed. My heart is heavy for people who are living in such terrible circumstances. I know I will be praying for them. I will also try to do a better job of cutting back, reusing, recycling. It's just the right thing to do!

As I was thinking about all these things this weekend, I remembered an old e-mail I had saved in my mailbox. It resonated with me when I read it the first time and it came to mind again today, so I wanted to share it with you!

A Keeper

I grew up in the forties with practical parents --

a Mother, God love her, who washed aluminum foil after she cooked in it, then reused it.

She was the original recycle queen, before they had a name for it...

A Father who was happier getting old shoes fixed than buying new ones.

Their marriage was good, their dreams focused. Their best friends lived barely a wave away.

I can see them now, Dad in trousers, tee shirt and a hat and Mom in a house dress, lawn mower in one hand, dishtowel in the other.

It was the time for fixing things -- a curtain rod, the kitchen radio, screen door, the oven door, the hem in a dress. Things we keep.

It was a way of life, and sometimes it made me crazy.

All that re-fixing, reheating, renewing, I wanted just once to be wasteful.

Waste meant affluence. Throwing things away meant you knew there'd always be more.

But then my Mother died, and on that clear summer's night, in the warmth of the hospital room, I was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't any 'more.'

Sometimes, what we care about most gets all used up and goes away...never to return.

So...while we have it...it's best we love it.....and care for it.....and fix it when it's broken.....and heal it when it's sick.

This is true.....for marriage.....and old cars.....and children with bad report cards.....and dogs with bad hips.....and aging parents.....and grandparents.

We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it.

Some things we keep.

Like a best friend that moved away -- or -- a classmate we grew up with.

There are just some things that make life important, like people we know who are special.....and so, we keep them close!

1 comment:

Christal said...

Thanks for that post we are so unaware of things sometimes in our little own lives eh! Love that story too so true!! You are awesome thanks for sharing!