Thursday, March 13, 2008

You're Gonna Miss This

My sister-in-law, Angie, e-mailed me the other day and asked me if I had heard Trace Adkins' new song, "You're Gonna Miss This". She said when she heard it, it almost made her pull the car over and cry. We both have four children. She has three teenagers and I have three and one 20 year old. And we are both big country music fans! I had heard part of the song, but not the whole thing.

Then the other day I was driving to Target and it came on as I was pulling into the parking lot. I sat in the car and listened to the whole song and got the biggest lump in my throat. It is so right where I am in life. I got to thinking about all of our happy, crazy, fun times together and realizing how quick the time is flying. I know my days with all my kids at home are numbered. I want to enjoy each day I have with them. I will miss them so much when they are gone!



















She was staring out the window of that SUV
Complaning, saying "I can't wait to turn 18"
She said "I'll make my own money, and I'll make my own rules"
Mamma put the car in park out there in front of the school
Then she kissed her head and said "I was just like you

"You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

Before she knows it she's a brand new bride
In a one-bedroom apartment, and her daddy stops by
He tells her "It's a nice place"
She says "It'll do for now"
Starts talking about babies and buying a house
Daddy shakes his head and says "Baby, just slow down"

Cause you're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

Five years later there's a plumber workin' on the water heater
Dog's barkin', phone's ringin'
One kid's cryin', one kid's screamin'
She keeps apologizin'
He says "They don't bother me.
I've got 2 babies of my own.
One's 36, one's 23.
Huh, it's hard to believe, but ...

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this"

3 comments:

Caroline said...

Betsy, this was a beautiful post, I had not heard that song and the truth in it was powerful. Enjoy it now, live now.....Your family is just beautiful!
ps...I like the new flowers!!!!!

Melissa said...

You have such a beautiful family! I love that song. It makes me remember to slow down and remember everything!

JenB said...

Oh my! And my daughter is only 7! (BTW, I found your blog through Kelly's Korner.) I'm in CLT too! Maybe I can get some pointers from you in a few years regarding the teenagers. Yikes!