Monday, March 3, 2008

Toni's Birthday

My teacher assistant's birthday was today! She is just the best! We have been working together now for almost two years and every day I think about how blessed I am to have her. We are totally oppostite. She is tall and athletic and spontaneous and daring. I am small and a complete girly-girl and I stay "inside the lines" most of the time. When I first met her and learned I would be working with her, I wondered how well we would click and if we would make a good team. Are you kidding? We are so great together!!! We just compliment each other so well. I know God put us together because between the two of us, the children in our class are having so much fun. Isn't it great to work with people you love? Happy Birthday, Toni! :)



Tonight I am going to her house for a little party her husband is hosting. But before I go, I've got to make sure everyone here is fed. So I am making some really quick and easy enchiladas I saw on the Food Network. We are huge Mexican food fans at our house.

Here they are:



This is the recipe & I always make a salad (lettuce, tomatoes, Ranch style beans-drained & rinsed slightly, chopped vidalia onion tossed with Catalina dressing) with it. Yum Yum!

Fastest Ever Enchiladas

Salsa:
1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes with chiles, drained
2 scallions, light green and white parts only, finely chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded, deveined, and finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
1 lime, juiced
Pinch salt

Enchiladas:
1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded (skin and bones discarded)
2 cups grated Cheddar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 (8-inch) flour tortillas


To prepare the salsa: Combine the tomatoes, scallions, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice in a mixing bowl. Add a healthy pinch of salt and set aside at room temperature until ready to cook the enchiladas.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

To prepare the enchiladas: Place the shredded chicken in a large bowl. Add half of the grated cheese, sour cream, and onion; season with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.

Place the tortillas on your work surface. Spoon about 1 cup of the chicken mixture across the center of each tortilla. Roll them up to close and place, seam side down, in the prepared baking dish. Pour the salsa over the tortillas. Cover with aluminum foil and bake until heated through, about 40 minutes.
Remove the foil and sprinkle the enchiladas with the remaining 1 cup of grated cheese. Return the baking dish to the oven until the cheese is melted and edges of the tortillas are just beginning to get crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. Serve hot.

3 comments:

  1. Yum - sounds good! I'll have to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Those sound so good! Josh has a corn allergy and I have so much trouble finding a good enchilada recipe that's safe for him. This one looks perfect! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE YOUR CLASSROOM!!!!! It looks like they were making crafts,,,oooo i just love that age group.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)