Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Rocky

Let me introduce you to Rocky--the most hyper Jack Russell Terrier you would ever want to meet. When our last dog, Petey, died, we were heart broken. We had had him for eight years and he was such a good natured and loving dog. He was a Jack Russell/Boston Terrier mix. The kids begged us for a long time to get another dog and I resisted as long as I could. Then Christmas rolled around and they said that all they wanted for Christmas was another dog--nothing else! (How much does that pull at your heart strings??!!) I was still against it, but Steve somehow talked me into it. How could we let our kids grow up without a pet??? How could we not give them this one thing they REEAAALLLY wanted??? Reluctantly, I went with Steve out to a little doggy farm on Christmas Eve and picked out the cutest little puppy in the litter. We kept him at my parents on Christmas Eve and went over to get him after the kids had gone to bed. On Christmas morning, we brought him downstairs wrapped in a Santa hat. I wish you could have seen the looks on the kids faces....it was priceless! We were off to a good start!




Then Rocky started to grow and his energy level increased. He started running and jumping and chewing and playing non-stop. I truly don't think that dog ever gets tired! He can jump as high as my head and he runs around the house at full speed! When company comes over he goes berserk with excitement! And he is very strong willed. It takes alot to get him to settle down. Whew! He basically wears me out.

I'll have to be honest and say that there are days that I wonder what in the world I was thinking when I agreed to get that dog! My girls would be very upset if we gave him away to another loving home (hint hint, wink, wink). But I need a prayer for patience! He is much more than I bargained for. I have an idea! Maybe when they leave home, he can go to live with them!! Sounds like a plan to me! :)

1 comment:

mer said...

We got a dog in November after years of listening to our kids beg for one. They love him to pieces, but I am not the biggest fan of the family pet. I told my husband that I couldn't handle a puppy, and we were so thankful to find "Jack"--a one-year old beagle. He still has some active days, but he's not hyper and he doesn't chew and that makes me very happy!

By the way, Rocky is adorable. I'm sure your kids are so thankful you said "yes"!

Hang in there!