Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Best Neighbors


Tonight I went to see The Sound of Music at the high school that my kids go to. That is one of my all time favorite movies, and several of Laura and Lindy's friends are in it, so I was excited to see it.

I went with my neighbor and one of my best friends, Candy. I am so blessed to have the neighbors I do. When we were looking to buy a house back in 2000, I had just started teaching second grade at the same school that my kids went to. Candy taught third grade there and Laura and Lindy got in her class. They loved her. Being from the little town of Clayton, NC, she has the biggest southern accent you've ever heard. She is sassy and spunky and a wonderful teacher. On the first day of school, she had on a cute sundress and blue toenail polish! I knew it was going to be a good year. That is where our friendship started. I also had her daughter, Melissa, in my class!



Candy knew we were looking for a new house and when she found out the house two doors down from her was going on the market, she immediately told us about it. We worked with the owners and a For Sale sign never even went up in their yard. We sold our house in 17 days, bought this one, and the rest is history. Candy and I were neighbors!

Melissa is a year younger than Laura and Lindy, and Candy's other daughter, Kelsey is two years younger than Ashley. Not only that, the neighbors right in between our houses have two boys. Bobby, the oldest, is two years older than Mark. And Michael is Mark's same age. Their parents, Steve and Carol, are wonderful neighbors, too!



Can you believe what a great situation that has been for us? Our children have grown up together and they love each other like brothers and sisters! We have gone to the mountains together every fall for the past seven years. We've had beach trips together. And we get together every Christmas for something we call "Chili and Cheer". Birthdays, graduations, and just every day life has been spent together. Now Candy and I both teach kindergarten together at another school. We are right across the hall from each other! I don't know what I would do without her. She has been such a wonderful friend to me in so many ways. I love her and her husband, Skip. And their girls are like my own! I know we will always stay close...a friendship like that is something rare and precious!


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS--Let me share with you a recipe Candy gave me that I use ALL the time. It's a crock pot recipe, so you know I love it!

Crock Pot Roast

Put a roast in the crock pot. Cover with one can of beef broth

and one small jar of Mt. Olive sweet and hot peppers

Cook all day & enjoy when you get home from work & the house is smelling wonderful! Just add some mashed potatoes and green beans & you're good to go!

1 comment:

  1. those are cute pictures of the kids! I like the one of them walking away. and your new post on date night....LOVE the argyle shirt you are wearing, yall look cute! :) hope pottery barn was fun. isn't so much fun to go shopping with the boy??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I love reading them all! :)